portal links

Top Row

Seal of Biliteracy

The California Seal of Biliteracy is a state awards program to recognize high school students for their accomplishments in language studies and proficiency. The program:

  • Encourages students to continue language study;
  • Celebrates the achievement of students who have attained a high level of proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing in two or more languages;
  • Recognizes the value of cultural and language diversity in our community; and
  • Promotes global citizenship and development of skills necessary for the 21st century.

The Fremont Union High School District is pleased to have this opportunity to celebrate our students and their language achievements. Students who meet the eligibility criteria for the Seal of Biliteracy will receive a special seal with their high school diploma.

Students who fulfilled the World Language eligibility criteria through FUHSD coursework, or who will complete their level 4 or 5 course during their senior year, do not need to apply. These students will receive an email confirming their status as “awarded” or “award pending” sent to their FUHSD email account in February. Students who intend to fulfill the World Language eligibility criteria by exam (AP or SAT II) must submit an application with documentation to verify their exam results. The application period is closed for the 2018-19 school year.

Seal of Biliteracy Languages

FUHSD offers the Seal of Biliteracy for accomplishments in the following languages:

  • Chinese (Mandarin)
  • French
  • German
  • Hebrew
  • Italian
  • Japanese
  • Korean
  • Latin
  • Spanish

Students may submit a separate application for each language if they wish to apply for multiple languages.

Eligibility Criteria

In order to receive the Seal of Biliteracy, students must meet the following criteria:

1. Successful completion of all FUHSD high school graduation and state requirements, with a minimum overall GPA of 2.0 through the Fall Semester of the 12th grade year; and

2. Achieved Level 3 ("Standards Met") or higher on the Smarter Balanced assessment in English-Language Arts/Literacy AND a minimum 2.0 GPA in grade English courses (through Fall semester of 12th grade) and ELD courses; and

3. ONE of the following language requirements:

  • A score of "3" or above on the Advanced Placement (AP) exam for the designated world language; or
  • A score of 650 or above on the SAT World Language subject test for the designated world language; or
  • Successful completion of a fourth-year FUHSD World Language course with a 3.0 or higher GPA.

AND the following requirement if your primary language is not English and you have taken the English Language Proficiency Assessment for California (ELPAC): An overall score of "4" (well-developed) on the ELPAC in the most recent school year.

For instructions on how to provide documentation of your eligibility in each of these areas, refer to the application, which is available at your school's main office and on this webpage.

If you have met the World Language eligibility criteria through FUHSD coursework by the end of your 11th grade year, or will meet eligibility criteria through an FUHSD level 4 or 5 class you are currently enrolled in, you do not need to apply. You will receive an email confirmation of your eligibility by the end of February.

Students who intend to fulfill the World Language eligibility criteria through senior year coursework or by exam (AP or SAT) must submit an application, which will be available during second semester.

Documentation for Seal of Biliteracy Application

The following forms of documentation will be accepted:

  • Unofficial FUHSD transcript (download from IC Portal): for grades, GPA, coursework
  • A copy of your official score report: for SAT subject tests, AP exams, ELPAC results (EL students)

You do not need an official FUHSD transcript.

EL students who cannot locate their official ELPAC score reports should contact their school's EL Program Assistant for a printout of their scores.

Frequently Asked Questions

While the California Seal of Biliteracy is not a new program in the state, it is still fairly new to the district. The Class of 2016 was the first FUHSD class to be issued the Seal of Biliteracy. Below are responses to a few of the frequently asked questions regarding FUHSD's implementation of this award.

In what language can I apply for the Seal of Biliteracy?

FUHSD is offering the Seal of Biliteracy in Chinese (Mandarin), French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latin and Spanish.

How do I know if I qualify for the Seal of Biliteracy?

The Seal of Biliteracy recognizes a student’s language proficiency in English and another language. As a part of the application process, you must include documentation (e.g. an unofficial FUHSD transcript, an AP or SAT score report) that you have met all the eligibility criteria. A complete list of the criteria are included in the application, and here on this webpage.

What if I am currently in an FUHSD level 4H now? I won’t have completed the course before the applications are due.

If you meet all other eligibility criteria and are currently enrolled in the course to meet the language proficiency requirement, you will be identified as “conditionally accepted” until final grades are posted in June. As long as you finish the course with the appropriate grades, you can expect to receive your Seal of Biliteracy with your diploma.

What if I am taking the SAT or AP exam for the language this spring? Can I still apply?

First, check to see if you meet the eligibility criteria in other ways (e.g. through coursework). If not, you can still submit your application by the published due date. Your application will be identified as “conditionally accepted” and you will receive your diploma without a Seal until you submit your exam score report. School offices are closed for the summer, so you will need to wait until August to submit your exam report and receive your Seal of Biliteracy. You must submit your exam score report no later than August 12 or your application will be considered incomplete and you will not receive a Seal.

Can I use coursework taken through another school, online provider or community language school to meet the language proficiency requirement?

At this time, the only coursework we are accepting is FUHSD coursework in Chinese (Mandarin), French, Japanese and Spanish.