College Now is an educational option for FUHSD seniors to earn their FUHSD diplomas while also earning one year of college credits without taking AP tests and for 1/10th of the cost for the same year at a UC. It provides an opportunity for students to spend the fourth year of high school on both the high school campus and at De Anza College.
Students complete a minimum of nine (9) college courses, making it possible to earn a bachelor's degree in less time, which is especially helpful to students planning for advanced professional degrees. Students can take up to 21 units a quarter, the most allowed for an FUHSD high school student.
- The College Now Student
- College Now Timeline
- What has changed in the College Now Program?
- What is the same in the College Now Program?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Forms and Resources
- Cost of College Now Program
The College Now student is a mature, academically serious-minded, independent, responsible FUHSD senior who needs minimal guidance. Students should feel ready to move on to college not only academically, but also socially and emotionally.
College Now students may continue to participate on FUHSD sport teams and can also maintain the experience of having a typical Senior Year experience at their home high school campus.
In order to qualify for College Now, students must:
- Be a current FUHSD junior who will have 200 credits at the end of the 2017-18 school year (no summer);
- Only need Economics/US Government and the 4th year of English to graduate (no other FUHSD classes);
- Place into De Anza College class EWRT 01A; determined by score on De Anza College English Placement test;
- Complete the College Now Questionnaire, which appears as a Google doc under the Forms and Files section of this webpage, by March 2, 2018; and
- Attend a mandatory meeting, along with their parent/guardian, from the February Night meetings listed in the timeline.
Questionnaires will be accepted from January 26, 2018 through March 2, 2018.
The College Now questionnaire is available to complete as of January 26, 2018. Students will receive an email confirmation within 48 hours of submission. If no confirmation is received, this means you have not 100% completed the questionnaire and and you need to resubmit.
Eligible FUHSD juniors will receive a postcard in the US Mail and a student clerk delivered brochure with information about the new program.
FUHSD student only informational meetings will be held at each FUHSD school. If you are interested in learning more about the new College Now program, plan to attend the meeting at your high school:
- Lynbrook High School: Jan. 26, 2018 at 9:15 a.m., LHS Auditorium
- Homestead High School: Jan. 30, 2018 at 9:25 a.m., HHS Career Center
- Monta Vista High School: Feb. 1, 2018 at 9:15 a.m., MVHS Theatre
- Fremont High School: Feb. 6, 2018 at 10:55 a.m., FHS Cafeteria
- Cupertino High School - Feb. 14, 2018 at 10:25 a.m., CHS Theatre
Mandatory FUHSD parent/guardian & student informational meetings will be held at each FUHSD school; all meetings will begin at 6 p.m.; you may attend more than (1) meeting and it is not necessary to go to your home high school site:
- Homestead High School: Feb. 6, 2018, HHS Auditorium
- Lynbrook High School: Feb. 7, 2018, LHS Auditorium
- Cupertino High School: Feb. 12, 2018, CHS Library
- Fremont High School: Feb. 14, 2018, FHS Library
- Monta Vista High School: Feb. 26, 2018, MVHS Theatre
March 2, 2018 by 3 p.m.
QUESTIONNAIRE is due; no QUESTIONNAIRES will be accepted after 3pm on March 2, 2018.
March 12, 2018
**All eligible FUHSD juniors who have completed the QUESTIONNAIRE will be placed in a LOTTERY and given a number; students will be emailed their number and given instructions on the next steps.
**#1-10 from each high school site will be accepted into COLLEGE NOW.
**#11 and higher will be placed on a WAITLIST to fill any available spots by March 26, 2018.
March 19, 2018 by 3 p.m.
**#1-10 from each high school site must return registration papers as instructed in acceptance email if they choose to be in COLLEGE NOW.
March 21, 2018
**#11 onwards from each high school site on the WAITLIST will begin email notification for any open spots (if needed).
March 26, 2018 by 3pm:
All registration papers must be returned as instructed in acceptance email if notified WAITLIST students choose to be in COLLEGE NOW.
Date TBD for 6 p.m. FUHSD/De Anza College student & parent/guardian Welcome Meeting
Mandatory pre-registration intake meetings afterschool (3 to 4:30 p.m.) in the Homestead High Library Computer Lab for at least one day each week throughout the month.
Last week of May - complete CN Checkout Form at home high school once all FUHSD books have been returned.
Friday, June 1, 2018 MANDATORY student-only meeting at De Anza College Campus Center conference room B from 12 to 3:30 p.m.
**Turn in CN Checkout Form DUE at Friday, June 1, 2018 meeting.
Fall quarter registration appointments June 4 - June 15, 2018.
Fall quarter registration at 8:00 am on July 20, 2018 - date NOT confirmed as of 1/24/18.
FUHSD classes begins on August 20, 2018
De Anza College Fall quarter begins on September 24, 2018
- No minimum GPA, essay, teacher evaluations, College Now application, or interview needed - just complete the College Now Questionnaire
- Ten (10) eligible 2017-18 FUHSD juniors from each high school may join for a total of 50 FUHSD students; program starts in April 2018 for their senior year.
- Eligible means are a current FUHSD junior, enrolled at a FUHSD high school, who after the second semester of the junior year will have earned at least 200 credits and only needs Economics/US Government and the 4th year of English to meet the FUHSD graduation requirements. Must also pass the De Anza College English placement test so can place into EWRT 01A - English Writing 1A - regardless if will take the class or not.
- Eligible 2017-18 FUHSD juniors who complete the College Now Questionnaire by 3 p.m. on March 2, 2018 will be selected by lottery if there are more than ten (10) eligible, completed questionnaires. All students will be given a number from the lottery and #11 onwards will be placed on the wait list should a space become available before March 26, 2018.
- Selected students must take periods 1 & 2 Economics/US Government and the 4th year of English at their FUHSD high school, regardless of credits already earned prior to the senior year, and be willing to take whatever level of the courses that will be offered (regular or AP-Advanced Placement) for Economics/US Government and English in periods 1 & 2.
- Mandatory for student and parent/guardian to attend at least one of the February Information Nights at the high school sites listed in the timeline listed on this webpage.
- Athletes in FUHSD sports may again participate.
- Leadership and membership approved for FUHSD clubs/activities.
- Allowed to be on HS campus during lunch for club/activity meetings - but not for the sole purpose of spending time with friends.
- Adhere to both the FUHSD & De Anza College calendars (August - June; block days; special FUHSD schedules).
- No longer 100% at De Anza College for senior year.
- FUHSD class schedule takes priority over De Anza class scheduling.
- No De Anza classes to appear on the FUHSD transcript (unless is a FUHSD athlete).
- Students follow their high school requirements/deadlines for college applications except the School Letter of Recommendation for any Secondary School Reports (SSRs) to be written by the FUHSD guidance counselor for the College Now program.
- Priority registration - get the De Anza College classes you want to take, when you want to take them.
- Ability to complete one year of college at 1/10th of the cost of attending a UC for a year.
- College credit without AP tests.
- Early start on TAG (Transfer Admission Guaranteed) requirements resulting in transferring faster than peers.
- Students must be independent and able to be on a college campus with minimal guidance.
- Must pass the De Anza College English placement test so can place into EWRT 01A - English Writing 1A.
- Participation commitment in the program for entire senior year.
- Take 12-21.5 units each quarter.
- Pay for units each quarter as well as books and Basic/Instructional fees.
- FUHSD guidance counselor for the College Now program to write School Letter of Recommendation for any Secondary School Reports (SSRs) in the Fall quarter.
- Students must remain in the FUHSD Residency boundaries at all times - no "senior privilege."
- Completion of FUHSD graduation requirements (US Government, Economics, and English).
- Mandatory attendance at April, May, and June meetings.
- Adherence to FUHSD and De Anza College codes of student conduct.
- Adherence to the College Now Student Responsibility Contract
- What are the odds that I will get the classes I want each quarter?
- May I apply to a four-year university without penalty and as an incoming freshman student?
- Will I earn college and high school credits?
- May I graduate early?
- May I participate in high school graduation and senior end-of-the-year activities?
- May I continue in sports at the high school level or on a De Anza College athletic team?
- May I still participate or hold an office in clubs/activities at my high school?
- May I be considered for “senior awards” given out by my high school at the end of the senior year?