College Now is an educational option for FUHSD seniors to earn their FUHSD diplomas while also earning one year of college credits without taking AP tests and for 1/10th of the cost for the same year at a UC. It provides an opportunity for students to spend the fourth year of high school on both the high school campus and at De Anza College.
Students complete a minimum of nine (9) college courses, making it possible to earn a bachelor's degree in less time, which is especially helpful to students planning for advanced professional degrees. Students can take up to 21 units a quarter, the most allowed for an FUHSD high school student.
For more information about College Now, view this informational presentation.
- The College Now Student
- College Now Timeline
- What has changed in the College Now Program?
- What is the same in the College Now Program?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Forms and Resources
- Cost of College Now Program
The College Now student is a mature, academically serious-minded, independent, responsible FUHSD senior who needs minimal guidance. Students should feel ready to move on to college not only academically, but also socially and emotionally. College Now students may continue to participate on FUHSD sport teams and can also maintain the experience of having a typical senior year at their home high school campus.
In order to qualify for College Now, students must:
- Be a current FUHSD junior who will have 185 credits (for 2021 only) by the end of the 11th second semester (no summer);
- Only need Economics/US Government and the 4th year of English to graduate (if additional 10-15 credits of electives are needed, you will still be considered);
- Complete the College Now Questionnaire, which appears as a Google doc under the Forms and Resources section of this webpage, by Feb. 15, 2021; and
- Mandatory to attend either the Student Only presentation on the high school campus and one of the February Night presentations listed in the College Now Timeline on this page. Parents/guardians are welcome to attend any of the February Night presentations; it is not necessary to go to the presentation at the student's home high school.
Applications will be accepted from January 7, 2021 through March 8, 2021
All students will be able to attend an informational presentation about College Now on Thursday, Nov 19 at 3:30 p.m. If you missed the informational presentation, please view the recording.
FUHSD juniors will receive an e-mail inviting them to the Student Only presentation.
FUHSD student-only informational presentations will be held for each FUHSD school via Zoom. If you are interested in learning more about and/or applying to the College Now program, plan on attending the meeting for your high school:
College Now: HHS and FHS Info Mtg
Wed, January 13, 2-2:45 p.m.
Meeting ID: 933 5705 1550
College Now: MVHS, CHS, and LHS Info Mtg
Wed, January 20, 2-2:45 p.m.
Meeting ID: 933 5705 1550
The College Now application is available to complete as of January 6, 202. Students will receive an email confirmation within 48 hours of submission. If no confirmation is received, this means you have not 100% completed the questionnaire and you need to resubmit.
FUHSD parents/guardians and your student are invited to a mandatory College Now night presentation that will be held via Zoom. Please choose one of the following dates to attend:
Students/Parents/Guardians: All are welcome to attend either presentation:
Monday, February 1, 2021 - 5:30 to 6:30 p.m OR Tuesday, February 9, 2021 4:30 to 5:30 p.m.
Topic: College Now Student and Parent Meeting
Meeting ID: 999 8380 0935
March 8, 2021 by 4 p.m.
March 12, 2021
**All eligible FUHSD juniors who have completed the application will be placed in a lottery and given a number; students will be emailed their number and given instructions on the next steps by this day. All students will also be given a very short interview by Mrs. Sheehy.
**#1-10 from each high school site will be accepted into the College Now program if a student who meets eligibility requirements has turned in an application and teacher rec form by the deadline of March 8.
**#11 and higher will be placed on a waitlist to fill any available spots by March 26, 2021.
March 22, 2020 by 3 p.m.
**#1-10 from each high school site must send an email to the College Now guidance counselor as instructed in the acceptance email of their decision to be in the College Now program or not.
March 26, 2021
**#11 onwards from each high school site on the waitlist will begin email notification for any open spots (if needed).
March 28, 2021 by 3 p.m.
All acceptance or participation denial emails must have been sent to the College Now guidance counselor as instructed in the acceptance email.
Date TBD for 6 p.m. College Now Welcome Meeting for accepted students and parents/guardians via Zoom.
All registration papers must be returned as instructed in acceptance email.
Mandatory weekly after school De Anza Pre-Registration Sessions throughout the month of May.
FUHSD Finals Week (June 1-3): Complete College Now Checkout Form at home high school after all FUHSD books and materials have been returned.
Friday, June 4, 2021: Mandatory student-only meeting in the De Anza College Hinson Campus Center, Conference Room B from 12 to 3:30 p.m.
Turn in College Now Checkout Form at Friday, June 4 meeting
Fall quarter registration appointments June 7 to June 18, 2021.
Fall quarter registration at 8 a.m. on July 15, 2021 - date NOT confirmed as of 1/4/2021.
FUHSD classes begins on August 16, 2021.
First day of De Anza classes - September 2021
No summer homework for students wanting to attend community college after senior year and transfer, and those seniors who are applying only to UCs/CSUs.
College application students: Letter of Recommendation Questionnaire is due Sept. 1, 2021 for all students. Secondary School Report Request is due September 22, 2021 for early application/decision applicants and October 15, 2021 for regular decision applicants.
- No minimum GPA, essay, De Anza College English and Math placement tests needed - just the College Now Application and teacher evaluation form.
- Ten (10) eligible 2020-2021 FUHSD juniors from each high school may join for a total of 50 FUHSD students; program starts in April 2021 for their senior year.
- Eligible means are a current FUHSD junior, enrolled at a FUHSD high school, who after the second semester of the junior year will have earned at least 200 credits and only needs Economics/US Government and the 4th year of English to meet the FUHSD graduation requirements.
- Eligible 2020-2021 FUHSD juniors who complete the College Now Application and teacher evaluation form by 4 p.m. on March 8, 2021 will be selected by lottery if there are more than ten (10) eligible, completed questionnaires. All students will be given a number from the lottery and #11 onwards will be placed on the wait list should a space become available before March 26, 2021.
- Selected students must take periods 1 & 2 Economics/US Government and the 4th year of English at their FUHSD high school, regardless of credits already earned prior to the senior year, and be willing to take whatever level of the courses that will be offered (regular or AP-Advanced Placement) for Economics/US Government and English in Periods 1 & 2. No schedule changes are allowed.
- Mandatory to attend either the Student-Only Presentation on the high school campus or one of the February Night presentations listed in the College Now Timeline on this page. Parents/guardians are welcome to attend any of the February Night presentations; it is not necessary to to to the presentation at the student's home high school.
- Unexcused absences in the FUHSD classes are not acceptable and you will be removed from the College Now program after the 6th unexcused absence in one quarter.
- Athletes in FUHSD sports may again participate.
- Leadership and participation for FUHSD clubs/activities to be allowed after student receives FUHSD administration approval by the FUHSD Activities Assistant Principal at their home high school site.
- Allowed to be on HS campus during lunch for club/activity meetings - but not for the sole purpose of spending time with friends.
- Adhere to both the FUHSD & De Anza College calendars (August - June; block days; special FUHSD schedules).
- It is the student's responsibility to inform FUHSD teachers, attendance and administrators if De Anza College quarter final exams conflict with FUHSD class times each quarter.
- No longer 100% at De Anza College for senior year.
- FUHSD class schedule takes priority over De Anza class scheduling.
- No De Anza classes to appear on the FUHSD transcript (unless is a FUHSD athlete).
- Six-week De Anza progress reports will occur every quarter. Students are responsible for giving & returning the progress report to the College Now guidance counselor by the due date. Parent/guardians, the FUHSD Administration, guidance counselors, and Athletic Directors will receive an email from the College Now guidance counselor with the results each quarter.
- Students follow the College Now requirements/deadlines for college applications requiring Secondary School Reports (SSRs). FUHSD Teacher Letters of Recommendation is the only areas that is not handled by the FUHSD College Now program guidance counselor.
- Priority registration - get the De Anza College classes you want to take, when you want to take them.
- Ability to complete one year of college at 1/10th of the cost of attending a UC for a year.
- College credit without AP tests.
- Early start on TAG (Transfer Admission Guaranteed) requirements resulting in transferring faster than peers.
- Students must be independent and able to be on a college campus with minimal guidance.
- Participation commitment in the program for entire senior year.
- Take 12-21.5 units each quarter.
- Pay for units each quarter as well as books and Basic/Instructional fees.
- FUHSD guidance counselor for the College Now program to write School Letter of Recommendation for any Secondary School Reports (SSRs) in the Fall quarter.
- Students must remain in the FUHSD Residency boundaries at all times - no "senior privilege."
- Completion of FUHSD graduation requirements (US Government, Economics, and English).
- Mandatory attendance at April, May, and June meetings.
- Adherence to FUHSD and De Anza College codes of student conduct.
- Adherence to the College Now Student Responsibility Contract
- What are the odds that I will get the classes I want each quarter?
- May I apply to a four-year university without penalty and as an incoming freshman student?
- Will I earn college and high school credits?
- May I graduate early?
- May I participate in high school graduation and senior end-of-the-year activities?
- May I continue in sports at the high school level or on a De Anza College athletic team?
- May I still participate or hold an office in clubs/activities at my high school?
- May I be considered for “senior awards” given out by my high school at the end of the senior year?
Yes. You may now be a member or have a leadership position on a high school club/activity with the FUHSD Activities Assistant Principal's approval; his/her approval should be asked for prior to acceptance into the College Now program. You will be allowed on the high school campus for lunch time meetings, but you cannot be on campus just to hang out with friends.