How can you complete one (1) year of college during your senior year? COLLEGE NOW.
The Application window will be open 1/9/17-3/2/17.
College Now is offered by the Fremont Union High School District in collaboration with De Anza College.
What is College Now?
- An educational option for FUHSD seniors to earn up to one year of college credits while completing FUHSD high school graduation requirements.
- An opportunity to spend the fourth year of high school at De Anza College instead of at an FUHSD high school campus, taking courses not offered through FUHSD schools.
- An opportunity to complete a minimum of 9 college courses, making it possible to earn a bachelor's degree in less time~~especially helpful to students planning for advanced professional degrees.
- A chance to take up to 21 units a quarter--the most allowed for an FUHSD high school student.
- An example of taking full advantage of a unique educational opportunity.
Who is the College Now Student?
- An academically serious-minded, independent, responsible and mature FUHSD senior.
- An FUHSD senior who seeks advanced subject studies by taking college courses in science, English, art, mathematics, humanities and social sciences.
- An FUHSD senior who feels he/she is ready to move on to college not only academically, but also socially and emotionally.
- An FUHSD senior who is more interested in involvement in college activities than those offered at the high school level.
- An FUHSD senior who has proven that he/she is capable of taking all of his/her senior year courses at De Anza College.
- An FUHSD senior who wants to start completing a certificate program, an associate degree and/or accrue transferable college credits for a four-year university.
- A current FUHSD junior with valid Residency within the FUHSD boundaries
- Must have at least a 3.5 academic/college grade point average (grades 10-12) as recorded on the Fremont Union High School District's transcript, not cumulative
- On-target for graduation (approximately 180 units by the end of the eleventh grade)
- Completion of the entire College Now application by the 3:30 pm on March 3, 2016
- Two (2) academic junior year high school teacher evaluations
- One (1) essay - prompt explained at the February 4, 2016 Info Night mtg. at De Anza College
- Completion of De Anza Math and English Placement Exams showing eligibility for English Writing 1A (EWRT 1A) and Algebra 2 (MATH 114) — please see this website for eligibilty: http://www.deanza.edu/admissions/placement/
- A school record of responsible, mature, self-directed behavior
- Parental permission
- Non-residents may be subject to De Anza out-of-state fees and some international students may not be eligible based on visa status — please see www.deanza.edu/admissions/residency.html
General Program Requirements
- Completion of FUHSD graduation requirements (including, but not limited to US Government, Economics, and English) by the end of the De Anza winter quarter.
- Mandatory attendance at April, May, June and all Fall quarter meetings as scheduled.
- Adherence to FUHSD and De Anza College codes of student conduct.
- Adherence to the College Now Student Responsibility Contract
Failure to meet any of the above requirements may result
in immediate removal from the program.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q . What are the odds that I will get the classes that I want each quarter?
A . Excellent. There is no guarantee, but you will have priority registration each quarter.
Q . May I apply to a four-year university without penalty?
A . Yes. Your college admissions process will be the same as other FUHSD seniors.
Q . Will I earn college and high school credits?
A . Yes. All courses will appear on your De Anza transcript for college credit. However, only the courses that you need for high school graduation will appear on your FUHSD transcript.
Q. May I graduate early?
A. No. College Now is a program and you may only graduate early from a high school campus.
Q . May I participate in high school graduation and senior end-of-the-year activities?
A . Yes. You may participate in graduation and all other senior end-of-the-year activities that do not conflict with COLLEGE NOW.
Q . May I continue in sports at the high school level or on a De Anza College athletic team?
A . No. COLLEGE NOW students are NOT eligible to participate in sports at the high school level or be on a De Anza College athletic team, but may participate in De Anza PE classes every quarter.
Q . May I still participate in clubs at my high school?
A . Possibly. You may not be on the high school campus from 7am-3pm so if you can participate after 3pm then it is possible with the approval by an administrator.
Q. May I still be considered for valedictorian of my high school?
A. No. You must remain as a full-time student on your high school campus to be eligible for valedictorian.
Q. May I be considered for “senior awards” given out by my high school at the end of the senior year?
A. No. You must remain as a full-time student on your high school campus to be eligible for senior awards.
Where the College Now class of 2016 are going to be in the fall:
UCs: Berkeley, Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, San Diego, Santa Cruz
CSUs: Cal Poly SLO
Private & Out-of-States: Caltech, Columbia, Carnegie-Mellon, Chapman, NYU, Georgia Tech, Occidental, Vassar
Community Colleges: De Anza